This is a simple, relatively quick, macronutrient balanced, perfect weeknight recipe sure to impress. You can pick the roasted veggie of your choice, or do a medley. The show stopper here is the miso tahini dressing that you can drizzle over the salmon and veg. To throw this meal together even faster, batch cook the veggies or put the dressing together ahead of time.
To bake the salmon:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F: Heat the oven to 425°F with a rack placed in the middle. Line a roasting pan or baking sheet with foil.
- Pat the salmon dry: Pat the salmon dry with a paper towel.
- Rub the salmon with 1 tsp olive oil, season with salt & pepper, spices of choice to taste: Drizzle some oil over the top of each salmon — just enough to coat the salmon — and rub it over the salmon with your fingers or a pastry brush. Sprinkle the salmon with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Place the salmon in the roasting pan: Place the salmon in the roasting pan, skin-side down. Transfer to the oven.
- Roast for 4 to 6 minutes per half-inch thickness of salmon: Roasting time depends on the thickness of your salmon, as determined by the thickest part of the salmon fillet. For every half-inch of salmon, roast 4 to 6 minutes — 4 minutes will give you salmon that is still a touch rare, 6 minutes will thoroughly cook it.
- Salmon is done when easily flaked: You can also check the doneness of your salmon with a fork. When the salmon flakes easily with a fork, it’s ready.
For the simple roasted veggie:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a rimmed sheet pan, cookie sheet, or glass baking dish (use parchment paper to avoid clean up)
- Spread chopped veggies of choice evenly on the pan. Then coat with 1 tbsp olive oil (use your hands to help cover all of the veggies), or opt for olive oil spray. Broccoli or cauliflower, carrots, and red onion work well.
- Season with your favorite spices. Garlic powder, pepper, oregano, Mrs. Dash are some good ones.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until slightly browned and crispy. Some veggies take longer to cook, you know they are done when they turn golden brown and softened.
For the miso dressing:
You will need:
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 tbsp white miso
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup warm water
- Freshly cracked black pepper, garlic powder to taste
- In a small bowl or lidded jar, combine ¼ cup tahini, 1 tbsp white miso paste, and 1 tbsp lemon juice. Mix with a spoon into a smooth paste. Add the warm water gradually, stirring or shaking (if using a jar) until the dressing reaches desired consistency. It may need more than 1/4 cup. Taste for seasoning. Add pepper, garlic powder, or more lemon if desired.
- Store in the refrigerator for about a week. Dressing thickens up as it sits, so you will need to add more water to thin. Makes 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Salmon: 245 kcals (4 oz salmon), 29 g protein, 9 g fat, 0 g carb
Roasted Non-starchy Veg: 30 kcals (1 cup veg and 1/3 of the oil), 4.5 g fat, fiber 🙂
Tahini Dressing: 99 kcals (2 tbsp), 8 g fat, 3.5 g protein, 2.8 g net carbs