Recipe adapted from “New York Times Cooking”
These devices offer a new spin on an old staple: the pressure cooker. Easy to use, with a wide range of functionality (yogurt making for example), these have become a staple in our kitchens. Today, we bring you a balanced meal that comes together in less than 30 minutes, all thanks to the high-pressure interior. The tender chicken and spicy bean mix makes the burrito bowl, taco (on top of the low-carb tortillas of course), or atop of bed of mixed greens. Happy pressure cooking!
*Recipe notes: You may use any pressure cooker for this recipe (doesn’t have to be an Instant Pot). You could also modify to cook in a slow cooker/Crock-Pot.
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 to 4 canned chipotles in adobo, finely chopped, plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional as needed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lime, juiced
- La Tortilla Factory low-carb tortillas (+50 calories per tortilla)
- Sliced or cubed avocado for serving (+60 calories for ¼ avocado)
- Greek yogurt for serving (substitute for sour cream)
- Salsa of your choice
- Hot sauce of your choice
- Diced red onions
*For those on a VLCD and aiming for ~300 calories per meal, we recommend doing a chicken bowl, without additional tortilla and avocado (+50 and 60 calories, respectively). However, if you cut the portion of taco mix and add tortilla + toppings, you should be within VLCD range. It’s up to you!
- Combine chicken, chipotles and adobo sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and cumin in your pressure cooker. Stir well to coat chicken in peppers and spices. Cover and set steam valve to sealed position. Cook on high pressure for 13 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes; then release the remaining pressure manually. Open the lid.
- Remove the chicken to a bowl or cutting board using tongs. Shred the chicken with two forks. If you’d like to reduce the sauce, set to sauté and simmer, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken back into the pot.
- Stir in the black beans and the juice of one lime, set to sauté and let the beans warm through, 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and add more salt or lime juice if necessary. Serve with optional tortillas and toppings. Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts (recipe serves 4): 301 calories, 7g fat, 19g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 2g sugar, 39g protein.