Here is an exercise that offers the unique ability to enhance a tremendous amount of aspects for the shoulder joint. This exercise is known as scaption, and it will be the main focus of today’s reading.
The Ultimate Shoulder Exercise
Scaption has been identified to strengthen the rotator cuff, improve muscle function, promote healthy movement patterns, increase shoulder stability, and even prevent injuries. If this list of benefits weren’t enough, scaption can also be used to determine if there are imbalances or injury concerns. Performing this exercise will proficiently demonstrate if the shoulder blades are functioning properly as well as promoting proper posture.
How to Perform Dumbbell Scaption
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart.
- Ensure shoulders are pulled back and down (tall upright posture).
- Hold a light dumbbell (1-5 lbs) in each hand with palms in neutral position.
- Engage core and glutes.
- Raise both dumbbells at a 45 degree angle, creating a Y with your arms.
- Slowly lower dumbbells back to starting position.
- Repeat 8 – 12 times.