Adapted from Skinnytaste
I’ve had my eye on this recipe for a while, and preparing this Recipe Challenge gave me a great excuse to try it out. This was perfect for a hearty fall dinner, and it made great “reheat and eat” leftovers (this recipe makes a lot – it does well in the freezer!). We served it over some cilantro lime cauliflower rice and really loved the combination of flavors. You could absolutely sub ground turkey/chicken for lean ground beef here, but we really enjoyed the dish with ground beef. You can find alternative methods to prepare this meal here (for both methods, please sub 96% lean beef for 93%):
- 1-1/2 lb 96% lean ground beef
- 1/2 large chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 1/2 can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1-2 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp capers or green olives (Note: I used capers and subbed pickle juice for the brine and it turned out great.)
- Brown the ground beef (or chicken/turkey) using the “Saute” function in your multi-cooker until no longer pink. Season with S&P.
- Add the following and stir: onion, garlic, tomato, salt, pepper and cilantro. Then add 2 tbsp of the brine from the olives, tomato sauce, 3 tbsp water, cumin and bay leaf. Mix well.
- Cook on high pressure (using the “Manual” function) for 15 minutes. Once done, either natural or quick release.
Nutrition Information: 110 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated), 217 mg sodium, 4g carbohydrates, 1g fiber, 2g sugar (0g added sugar), 15g protein