Try this recipe on top of a salad, topped with a little avocado or sandwiched between two portobello “buns”… get creative! We can’t wait to see what you come up with!
Makes 8 patties
1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup cooked quinoa
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons roughly chopped sun-dried tomatoes (dry, not oil-packed)
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup packed fresh basil, chopped
3 teaspoons oat or almond flour (grind your own oat flour using rolled oats and a food processor)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
big pinch chili powder
salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Crack egg into a large bowl and beat well. Add the beans and, using a potato masher or the back of a big wooden spoon, mash them together with the egg until relatively smooth but with some chunks remaining.
2. Fold in the cooked quinoa. Then add the rest of the ingredients. Mix until combined.
3. Roll small handfuls of the batter into balls the size of clementines. Press down to form a patty about 3 inches in diameter.
4. Grease a pan with olive oil cooking spray and heat over medium. Cook the patties about 3 minutes a side, until golden brown.
5. Enjoy! VLCD tip: Use as your protein/starch and serve with lots of non-starchy veg.
Nutrition (per burger): 112 calories, 3g fat, 15.4g carbohydrate, 3.7g fiber, 7g protein.