(Adapted from The Real Food Dietitians)
Looking for a great meal prep idea? This black bean quinoa bake fits the bill. Packed with fiber and protein, this filling dish is full of flavor and easy to throw together. Prep ahead of time on the weekend, and then pop in the oven for a fast meal during the work week with leftovers to last. Can easily be made vegetarian/vegan by leaving the chicken and/or cheese out. Happy meal prepping!
1 lb. chicken breast, cut into small cubes
2 tsp. coconut oil
1 cup quinoa, uncooked
1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1 4 oz. can diced green chiles , lightly drained
12 oz. salsa of choice (such as Trader Joe’s Salsa Verde)
1 tsp. Chili powder
½ tsp. Ground cumin
½ tsp. garlic powder
¼-½ tsp. Salt
⅛-¼ tsp. Chipotle chili powder or regular chili powder
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped fresh cilantro, lime wedges for serving
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease a 9×9 in. glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- While quinoa is cooking, place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 tsp. Coconut oil. When oil starts to simmer, add cubed chicken. Cook chicken, stirring to prevent sticking until browned on the outside and no longer pink inside, about 9-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa and chicken with remaining ingredients except the cheese and stir well to combine.
- Transfer to baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Remove foil and sprinkle with cheese before serving.
- Serve with desired toppings.
Nutritional Information (per 6 servings): 300 calories, 7.7g fat (2.8g sat. fat), 31.4g carbohydrate, 4.3g fiber, 4.8g sugar, 27.7g protein.