This week, we’re featuring a recipe that bridges summer and fall, with clean and fresh flavors, but a comfort food feel. Serve atop your favorite ancient grain or some cauliflower rice for a low maintenance (and low-cal!) meal.
Adapted from Skinnytaste.com
1 1/4 lbs peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp
1 tsp olive oil
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 scallions, thinly sliced, separate whites and greens
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 14 oz. can light coconut milk
1/2 lime, squeezed
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add red peppers and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add scallion whites, half of the cilantro, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, coconut milk and 1/4 tsp salt. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low about 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook 5 to 6 minutes, until opaque and thoroughly cooked.
- Add lime juice.
- Top with scallion greens and remaining cilantro to serve.
Nutrition per 1 1/14 cup serving:
267 calories, 10.5 g fat (6 g saturated), 9.5 g carbohydrates, 1.5 g fiber, 30 g protein