If you’ve been craving a nice warm plate of creamy and savory risotto but want to stay on plan, this recipe is for you! It starts with the very popular, versatile and low carb ingredient: cauliflower. This lowers the carbs and calories dramatically when compared to traditional risotto. This cauliflower rice recipe can be prepared in under 30 minutes either in the skillet or microwave. You can also add or substitute with other veggies to satisfy your preferences.
Risotto-Style Cauliflower Rice With Chicken
(Makes 2 servings)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 frozen cauliflower rice bag (~4 cups) — you can use fresh riced cauliflower but may need to add 1-2 tbsp of water or broth to make it creamy
- 2 wedges (or 2 tbsp) of spreadable cheese (about 0.75 oz each) broken into small pieces (such as Laughing Cow)
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Chopped fresh chives
- Garlic powder (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Cooked chicken breast
- Place frozen cauliflower rice bag in the microwave and cook as directed, typically 4-5 minutes.
- While waiting on the cauliflower, cook mushrooms using 1-2 sprays of olive oil spray in a skillet over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Once cauliflower is finished cooking in the microwave, add the cauliflower to the mushrooms in the skillet.
- Add cheese and mix well in the skillet until thoroughly spread, for about 2 minutes. (If you would like it cooked through more, cook for an additional 1 minute at a time until you get your desired texture.)
- Add hot sauce, chives, salt and garlic powder if desired; mix well.
- Serve with 3-4 oz chicken or other lean protein of your choice.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Half the recipe, plus 3 oz cooked chicken breast: 244.5 calories, 6.9g fat, 13.7g carbohydrate (6.1g fiber, 6.9g sugar, 0g added sugar), 35.4g protein