This fun treat has a marshmallow-y texture and makes a great post-workout snack option or dessert. Our take on protein fluff harnesses the natural sweetness of fruit so you can nix flavored protein powders, artificial sweeteners, and non-caloric plant-based sweeteners like stevia (all of which may increase sugar cravings)! VLCD note: protein powders are not allowed on the VLCD, so save this treat for your Active Maintenance phase.
Protein Fluff Recipe
Below is the base recipe but feel free to play around with the proportions of ingredients to find your ideal texture. Also works with a higher protein to fruit ratio.
- 1 scoop (25g) protein powder such as unflavored whey protein concentrate or isolate – (whey, casein, and/or milk protein yield the best texture; plant-based protein powders won’t work as well here)
- ¼ to ½ cup water (start with less)
- 1 cup frozen fruit (such as ½ cup frozen mixed berries + ½ cup frozen sliced banana)
- Add protein powder to blender or food processor, followed by water and frozen fruit.
- Blend/process on high speed until the mixture is smooth, about 1-2 min. May have to pulse or use a spatula to scrape the sides of your blender to help evenly incorporate the mixture. Add extra water as needed, but be careful not to add too much or it will turn into a smoothie rather than “fluff.” Volume should double.
- Enjoy immediately for best texture, though may be poured in popsicle molds and frozen, or refrigerated (texture will resemble a smoothie after it melts).
Protein Fluff Nutrition Facts*
197 calories, 28g total carbohydrate (3.6g fiber, 15.4g sugar), 23.4g protein
- Check with your Nutrition Specialist to see if this recipe would be appropriate for you, and how to best incorporate it.
- This treat makes a great between-meal or post-workout snack for those looking to increase protein intake for muscle maintenance or growth.
- Try enjoying this recipe right after a light dinner to help meet your protein needs and to satisfy a sweet tooth.