Adapted from New York Times Cooking
Try it on top of a salad, as an accompaniment to our Persian Cauliflower Rice, or rolled into a low carb tortilla with lots of crunchy veggies. Top with hot sauce, yogurt, and/or hummus for a classic take on this street-side favorite.
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 large red onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- A pinch of cinnamon
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons, chopped fresh parsley
- Prepare marinade for chicken: Combine lemon juice, olive oil, yogurt, garlic, onion, and spices in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add chicken and toss to coat evenly. Cover and store in fridge for at least one hour and up to 12 hours.
- When ready to cook, heat oven to 425 degrees. Dump chicken mixture onto sheet pan and spread evenly.
- Roast chicken until browned and crisp at the edges, about 30-40 minutes. Pro tip: place sheet pan on the rack in uppermost position in oven to increase browning/crispiness of chicken.
- Remove from oven, let rest for 2 minutes, and then slice into pieces. Scatter parsley over the top. Serve with cucumbers and tomatoes on top of a salad with two tablespoons of hummus (+70 calories) or tucked into a low carb tortilla (+50 calories). Top with extra lemon juice and your favorite hot sauce.
Nutrition Facts (makes 8 servings, about 1 thigh): 200 calories, 8.1g fat, 2.9g carbohydrates, 0.3g fiber, 26.7g protein.